Thursday, May 28, 2009

Why Classroom Management?


Hello world, my name is Kristina. I am a twenty-three year old college student entering my final year in the elementary education program. For the last three years of school, the concept of classroom management has been drilled into my head by professors, teachers in the elementary and middle schools I have observed, and my family and friends that have careers in the education system. When given the opportunity to ask these educators what the most difficult aspect of adapting to teaching is, nearly every teacher responded with a resounding “Classroom management!”

I have worked in a kid’s club for two years with children ranging from three months old to five years old, and discovered that structure and order are key components of a successful classroom. After my personal experiences with children in this atmosphere, and speaking to professionals with far more familiarity on the subject, I realize that classroom management is much more than a set of rules that is written on the board for children to follow. Classroom management is a style of teaching; methods of conducting a classroom, anticipatory sets, rules, and the layout of the class are simply a few aspects of this broad topic.

Instead of allowing classroom management to intimidate me, I decided to take a different approach to the subject. This blog will be dedicated to the discovery of already existing Internet sources concerning the topic of classroom management. I plan to incorporate articles, You Tube videos and even other education blogs into my search for tips, ideas and strategies that will someday integrate into my own classroom.




No comments:

Post a Comment